- Open Topics
AutoNOMOS Labs finally received an exceptional permission to test autonomous functions in real traffic situations. The matured safety concept which we developed with the support of TÜV NORD and our new sponsor HDI Gerling Industry Insurances includes a safety driver (acting as a “driving teacher”) and a copilot who both can take control of the car in situations which seem too risky for autonomous driving. In a step-by-step process we are now going to apply the functions we have been testing on our testing grounds of Tempelhof Airport over the last 4 years to the roads of Berlin. We are looking forward to presenting a completely autonomous trip through the city center of Berlin in August. Media representatives are invited to register via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. More information, pictures and interviews will be provided when the date is fixed. Until then our researchers will concentrate on scientific progress.
- Exceptional permissions for the State of Berlin are examined and approved by the LABO (Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten) according to official StVO regulations.
- The name of our latest test-vehicle is “MadeInGermany” (MIG) our first car was named “Spirit of Berlin”.
- AutoNOMOS Labs is a project at the Freie Universität Berlin, Artificial Intelligence Group, financed by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research in a market-oriented program called ForMaT.
- The car is equipped with several cameras, RADAR- and LIDAR-(Laser) sensors to “perceive” its surrounding and a high-precision GPS System. The Laser-Scanner on the roof detects obstacles around the car. It does not take pictures for google street view
- The vision of autonomous driving is shared with fellow robotic researchers around the world. Many of them – like ourselves – are former contestants of the DARPA Challenges.